Saturday, January 15, 2011

Letting Go

















Though I'm clearly the cold weather/burly mountain man type (lest ye forget my impressive unkempt Old Man Winter beard last spring), I miss the ocean. I miss those rare opportunities our family took mid week, in July, if memory serves (& it does), just before rush hour. We'd set up camp for a few hours on Apfel Beach, & let our children frolic about like a heard of gazelle in spring. Then we'd launder our gritty, salty, bodies, change into some clean clothes (while we hoped no one was looking), & go enjoy some overpriced seafood at one of the restaurants on Seawall Blvd.


Good times.


The above caption expresses those memories quite well. Truth be known, it's one of my favorites, & commemorates our final day in Galveston.


As you can see, my daughter is performing one of her famous cartwheels on the sand, as the waves (paying no attention to her acrobatics mind you), calmly roll in... & then gently roll back out to sea.


If you look close enough, you will identify the puffy, white, sailboat (to the left) off in the distance. And if you look near the front, right hand corner, you will see the gull that happened to swoop down at just the right moment.



Beautiful.



This tranquil impression has been my PC's desktop wallpaper for the past six-plus months. I guess it creates a sense of comfort & familiarity every time I boot up the ol' tower & monitor. What can I say? I'm a sappy, middle aged dad. Guilty as charged, Your Honor.


But I am deeply saddened by the infrequency of these experiences. I suppose I could justify it by saying it's just a season of life, but this season has prolonged for over a decade now. And as we all know, they don't stay little for long.



Tonight, I finally changed my wallpaper. I guess it symbolizes my reluctant attempt to let go of what can no longer be, & to hopefully embrace what is to come.




Not making any promises. :0/





No comments:

Post a Comment